The Lock Box is recommended for up to four adults wishing to supplement their diet with fresh, nutritious, truly organic produce.
Enough seed is provided for a year-round garden for four adult units, along with an excess to hold in reserve in case a particular crop does not do well. (Figure a small child or elderly person as half an adult unit; a teenage boy might be one and a half units!) Families looking at their seed bank as a food safety net in the event of an economic collapse or societal disruption should purchase a Safe. The larger bank will provide a greater cushion in the event of a crop failure.
The Lock Box comes with a laminated Texas Ready Mittleider Gardening Chart and a free copy of The Vegetable Gardener’s Bible. This book provides detailed instructions on how to cultivate each variety in your bank (light, water and soil requirements; when and how to plant, etc.). The other books offered on our website are also strongly recommended for those wishing to maximize their harvest and pursue a lifestyle of true self-sustainability.
Be sure to specify whether you wish to purchase a Northern Bank (Zones 3-6) or a Southern Bank (Zones 7-12). If you are unsure which growing zone you are in, click here to view the USDA Growing Zone Chart.
- All seeds are non-GMO, non-hybrid, open-pollinated Heirloom type varieties
- All seeds are fresh and have a lab-certified germination rate in excess of the USDA requirements for that particular variety
- Available for Southern and Northern Zones
- Varieties susceptible to fungal infections, infestations and/or viruses may be treated in order to boost hardiness and production
- Comes packed in a re-sealable steel US Army Ammo Box
- Includes a laminated Texas Ready Mittleider Gardening Chart
- 80+ Varieties Included
- Over 25,000 Seeds (4+ lbs)
- Designed to provide the annual nutritional produce needs for 4 Adult Units
- Includes The Vegetable Gardener’s Bible